Monday 4 March 2013

An Introverted Traveller with extrovert actions?

Psychologically, I have been defined as a ISFP. To be extrovert one is a risk taker, talkative/powerful and energized by stimulation. An introvert focuses more on their internal environment through thoughts, feelings and ideas.

Travelling almost represents a paradox between the two personality types.

Introvert: 
A solo traveller implicates the need for space away from societal expectation, where one can absorb new environments, new cultures and experience the personal reflective growth that travelling abroad can bring about.

Extrovert:
On the other hand, solo travelling implicates being a risk taker, the desire for action and stimulation and the ability to soak in new environments and be at ease with meeting new people.

It is so often that we revert to stereotypes to categorise people who travel. Examples include:

The Full Moon Part-ier: 










The hippie:














The 'Gap Yah's














The Tourists














Lets start by breaking apart these stereotypes. Regardless of who we are, we travel because we are unified by the same thing, the desire to see the world. Whether introverted or extroverted, we all have different travel styles and there isn't a perfect way of travelling that we should all strive towards. A introvert may be more attuned towards a slower paced life of travel whilst extroverts may embrace a adventure holiday. 

In Nepal, I found no greater joy then quietly observing the rolling mountains of Pokhara, reflected on Phewa Lake. Yet on balance, meeting other like-minded travellers and locals alike also became a defining part of my trip.  

Being loud or quiet does not define what we can or cannot do nor does it indicate our potential or spirit. I am introverted yet adventurous, sensitive yet stubborn and clumsy yet rational. There isn't a defining factor that separates one type of traveller from another and the only suggestion I'd make is to go with everything with a open mind, and endless opportunities and experiences will come your way. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    My name is KC Owens, I’m a college student and I love to travel! While cruising the Internet, I found your site and really enjoyed reading your posts. I have been to countries all over Europe with just my backpack and a camera. Since I am a college student and I have significant bills, it can be difficult to find ways to travel the world. However, I have done this several times, with less than ten pounds of luggage and while on a college dime!

    I was hoping that you would allow me to write a post for your site to share my tips and tricks with your readers. I put a lot of time into my traveling, it is my biggest passion and I would love to inspire others by sharing my stories, mistakes and triumphs. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best,

    KC Owens

    ReplyDelete